Another post? I know! I'm on a roll....oh, writing, how I have missed you.
As I was driving nervous final exam takers to school last week, I remembered a movie trailer that made all the ladies sharing a girls' night out with me sit up and take notice. At the end of the clip we said in unison "oooh, that should be our next movie-and we should read the book first!" I wished my student passengers a big "good luck" and as they made their way into school, I headed to the nearest Borders.
When walking through the front door, the cookbooks lining the shelf caught my eye and I made a bee-line straight to the French cooking section. If you recall, "Julie & Julia" has just stirred up the writing juices again, so I wanted to see what was so great about this cookbook. I found a nice comfy chair and began leafing through the pages of Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. After an hour, I returned it to the shelf. How on earth did Julie Powell cook every single recipe?? It would take me a year to finish reading through all the recipes, let alone create a masterpiece every single night AND blog about it! I was very impressed with this cooking hero. When the time comes for me to conquer French cooking, this will be the only book I will turn to. Thanks Julie.
So, back to the reason I was in Borders to begin with. Julia (Another J!) Roberts will be starring in a movie that is based on the book Eat Pray Love written by Elizabeth Gilbert. The introduction mentions that the number 3 is significant (you will have to read her book to find out!)-is this where the term "Things Happen in Three's" comes from? I wonder.....
Back to school I drove and waited for the school doors to spit out students after keeping them corralled for two hours. I picked up the book sitting on the passenger seat. I love the feeling of opening a new book; the smoothness of the cover and crispness of the pages. A new story for my eyes to scan and brain to digest. I only made it through the introduction before it was time to bring the kids home.
Once home, I grabbed a corner and read. This is going to be quite the journey with Ms. Gilbert. Her story is actually broken out into 3 stories of her year-long quest in Italy (Eat), India (Pray) and Indonesia (Love). I have made it through Italy and have just arrived in India.
I will keep you posted, but I have a feeling that I will end up telling you that this is a must read!

a life changing book for me. i hope you enjoy it too.
ReplyDeleteI started to read that book awhile ago and never finished. I actually just picked it up again to read and I am so excited about it. I also just bought The Help which I hear is awesome!
ReplyDeleteI have just completed my journey through India and now on to Bali. I have a feeling that things in my life will change...
ReplyDeleteI will check out The Help too! Thanks!