Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Petra Acker, "The Sweetness" Factor


L to R: Sam Marsicano, Kelly Pugliano, Petra Acker & Josh Cummings

This photo feels like ages ago, but it is only a few years old. Sam, who used to be our much loved babysitter is now in college and a breath-taking beauty. Josh is now taller than me and is one of, well, most likely, the nicest young man I have ever met and should be on the watch list of up and coming skaters. Rounding out this photo with me is Petra Acker, a true talent in both discipline's (short and long track) of speedskating.

When I first started speedskating 8 years ago, I would go to a local rink and practice almost every day. Skating and offering advice was the world-known speedskater, Howard Ganong. Hanging out in the middle of the ice, looking bored and sitting on a big white bucket was Howard's granddaughter, Petra. She was very shy, but always said hello before going back to playing on her bucket. Who knew in a few short years she would be globe-trotting to Poland and China as a Junior World Team member!

It seems around this time the three of us-Josh, Petra and I were introduced to a well known coach in the speedskating community; Casey Wager. He had retired from the sport for many years but started to show up at the rink to lace up his skates just to "get some laps in". After a few months, Howard had talked to Casey to see if he would mind showing Petra a few exercises to do on the ice so that she didn't seem so bored. Casey obliged and realized he had a diamond in the rough; Josh and Petra have always been two peas in a pod-the best of friends-so when Casey helped Petra, Josh was learning as well. Now Casey had two diamonds and out of retirement he came.

I was like the "Auntie" of the group. Helping them along, and offering advice or support whenever they needed it. In turn, they helped me out by making me chase. The kids and I would do the technical items that were given to practice and the laps that Casey would dish out. It only took a couple of seasons for both Josh & Petra to outskate me. I remember the first time I realized it.  We were doing passing drills and I could tell they were holding back. "Keep going, Kelly." Josh would say in an encouraging voice. "Yes, come on, Kelly." Petra would echo as I tried to make my way to the front. "Don't go slow on my account!" I would say. So this day they both turned on the gas a little and started to put some distance between us. All I can remember saying is "You little stink-pots!"

My first season as a competitive speedskater I skated in the Novice class. There is a great story here, but I will save for another day. I came to the last meet of the season and decided that I wanted to skate in my age class, so that is what I signed up for. I thought "I've been skating all season-I can do this no problem". Did I get humbled, real quick. I had never skated a 1500m before and I maybe skated a 1000m once during that year. I remember thinking "Oh, my. How am I going to finish this." but worse; I was mortified that I was lapped, not once, but many times. Funny, thinking about this now because the 1000m and 1500m are my favorite and best distances to skate!

The following year, Casey had us skating this meet and I remember that it was the first time Petra had competed. She was a nervous wreck and I thought she was going to literally get sick from the butterfies in her stomach. Her mom and dad tried calming her down, but it wasn't working. Sometimes, to talk to a speedskater, you have to be a speedskater. Petra's mom asked if I could talk to her. I remember her expression and I shared with her the story I just shared with you. I assured her that she would most definitely be spared the mortification of being lapped because she was good enough NOT to get lapped. Then we came up with a handshake and a mantra for her to focus on. We gave eachother a sliding horizontal "five" and I said "It's all Sweetness. No matter what, have F-U-N! Now give me some sweetness!" We did this before every race that day.  It seemed to work in both of our favors-neither one of us were lapped and we both medaled!

Last season, Petra earned a spot on the Jr.World Long Track team and traveled to Poland. Before she left, I wished her well and held out my hand and said "Give me some Sweetness!" Her face lit up and she exclaimed "Oh, Kelly! Yes! I forgot about that! Yes, Sweetness!" and she placed her hand on top of mine as we gave eachother a horizontal-five and then a big hug.

Petra has matured into a beautiful young lady. Poised and confident to take on the world. I am so lucky to know her and I could not be more proud.

Petra returned yesterday from Taipei City, China after competing on the Junior Short Track World Team. After checking the results, I say she did awesome. Click here for article on US Speedskating and to see full results. I'm sure that the road to an Olympic Games will be very near in her future. A long way from the center of the ice and a big white bucket.

Rest assured, not only does Petra have the "It" factor, she has the "Sweetness" factor.

2 comments:

  1. That was a great post. Being a teacher for so many years, I had to reflect on my first set of second graders and the freshman they have turned into.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It's amazing how time passes so quickly, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails