Saturday, June 27, 2009

Really...?? Part 2

I am faced with asking another question in the “really?” category.

Since when is it ok to wear curlers in public? That’s right folks, I said curlers.

Once again while driving in my car I witnessed a sight that made me say out loud “what kind of hat is that?” As I got closer, I realized it wasn’t a hat at all, but a woman retrieving her mail with a head full of blue and pink curlers. Her car was in her driveway, driver side door open as she flipped through her pile of letters. My guess is she was just returning or she was on her way out somewhere. Either way, she was in public with these things in her hair for all to see!

I can remember when I was a kid, my mother would “set” my very long hair in the Pepto-Bismol pink foam curlers. She would roll my hair, then fold over the fastener and clip into the end of the curler and then send me to bed. It was so uncomfortable to sleep all night with plastic things assaulting my scalp! The next morning, the pain would begin when she would start to pull the curlers out of my hair. Some would be hanging a little because of the tossing and turning from the night before and would come right out. But others would have my hair entwined in the end of the curler- like a string stuck in a vacuum roller- and would hurt like the dickens to untangle and pull it from my head!

I always thought my mom was braver than me, because she would sleep in the small hard black rollers that were held in with a plastic “pin”. I would play with them and can remember how spiky they were and when I would close my hand around them and squeeze a little, it would hurt! I could never imagine sleeping in those!

Back then, all ladies would wear their curlers or “rollers” in public and cover them with a scarf. But as time has passed, I saw less and less of this practice and honestly have not seen that sight in a good 15+ years.

The past shot back in the few seconds it took for me to drive by. I cannot believe in this day and age of curling irons, flat irons and the other myriad of hair “utensils” that someone would resort to curlers, let alone wearing them out and about!

Hence my question: Would you ever wear curlers in public?

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I'm a friend of Eileen Allen's. She pointed me to your blog and I am so glad she did!
    Pink curlers, my oh my. I tried to avoid these when I was a child. My hair is as staight as a board and never seemed to hold a curl no matter what I did. I think I did wear them in the mid to late-sixties to get ready for special occasions. But never in public!! I think I adopted the hippie lifestyle just to avoid those things!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie,

    Welcome! I'm glad you are enjoying the blog entries so far!
    My hair is very straight also, so I think I cried everytime I saw those pink things come out because I knew in a matter of hours my curls would lose their bounce and I would have straight hair once more. All the pain for nothing in the end!
    Hope to hear from you again!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails