Monday, August 30, 2010

Teens Interrupt Regularly Scheduled Programming....

I am completely throwing caution to the wind (and spell check) to throw this post up. Why? Because I just need to vent a little about life with a teenager...



This is one of my all-time favorite pictures of my daughter. She was 3 at the time and it was taken as the first snow of the season started to cover the grass. We went outside and tried to make snowballs and a snowman but ended up only able to make snow angels.

I realize she would not stay the cute toddler forever.

But :

Why did arguing over friends we don't know-who now can drive- have to come so soon?

Why did "You just don't GET IT!" have to make it's way into daily vocabulary?

Why does our explaination of "no" have to always have an expanation attached other than "because I said so!"

I love going down memory lane; but I am reminded that time passes quickly and no longer am I making angels in the snow, but trying my best to help a young adult learn from the experiences that have paved the path for this adult.

But why does that process have to be so painful, for both of us?

Maybe I just don't get it.

12 comments:

  1. You should just let her because remember when you were in the same spot? Let the girl have a little fun, as long as you know where she is and who she's with

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is painful. I am just always hopeful that I will know when it is the right time to stick to my guns and say no and when is the time to bend a little because it is important to them. I think I will just have to go with my gut every time.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's funny is that we do get it because we were there before! And they don't get it!! They just don't understand that we're only trying to help them, keep them safe, and make sure they make the right choices.
    My daughter is almost 15... it's hard. Hopefully it gets better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya! My 16yo is constantly saying things like that. And when I vent to my own mother, she laughs at me. Such is the circle of life. ~sigh~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have kids, but I so remember being a teenager: the angst and drama of "you don't get it".

    In the words of Thich Nhat Han, "Smile, breathe and go slowly."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it so frustrating to know how much we love them and how much (for this short amount of time), we are the enemy? This too shall pass. Breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have two teenagers and it is really tough. I am known as the "worse Mom ever" in my daughters circle of friends. I remind her that my job is to get her to adulthood alive and prepare her for life. If I don't do that then I failed as a parent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Three teenage daughters here, and that pain in your hreat and mind means you doing a great job of being a parent. A coach from past once said "If it doesn't hurt, you're doing it right".

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm counting the hours, minutes & seconds until my eldest son leaves for 2nd year university. He's a good kid but he's driving me crazy ever since he finished working for the summer (4 days ago)!!!!!
    I'm stopping by from BlogFrog. Somehow all of us will survive our teenage kids.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kel - It's Miguel. I can't say I feel your pain, cause I don't have kids and....well can't say that I feel your pain. But...with that said, you know and I know that you have the wisdom, patience (perhaps tried at times) and where with all to find the path forward. I think of my sister and Mom at about the same age Maggie is now. They did NOT see eye to eye at all. Today they couldn't be closer. Although Erin is in CA and Mom in NJ, they probably talk almost everyday. So..."this too will pass". Easily said perhaps by a single middle aged man but it's true. Take a deep breath, focus and count to 10. Hang in there! Love ya! Mike

    ReplyDelete
  11. I look at my son everyday and know that one day he will be a independent teenager and it breaks my heart. He sleeps in my bed and I make no excuses for it because he is mine, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Found your blog through BlogFrog and glad I did! I love your blog! I'm so not looking forward to when my little girl is a teenager. She's only 16 months old and is already one of the most stubborn people I know! Lol...I'm definitely going to have my hands full. Have a great day, can't wait to do some more reading!

    Melissa
    http://thechroniclesofarookiemom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails