Friday, March 26, 2010

Really?! Part 5




I haven't written a "Really?" post in a while, but this week I was given some material that I think was worthy. I have hmmm'd and hawwwwed on whether to share it, but I have decided that why not?

This week I have been scheduled- to.the.max. One day stood out among the others and this is why...

I was having one of those days. I was trying to catch up on laundry, house cleaning, you name it and did so at the expense of no shower, no make up and no plans for dinner. I was exhausted and decided to heck with it, threw my hair up in a pony-tail and took the kids to dinner at a local burger joint. I mean who am I going to see? Oh, I can answer that for you! My ex-boyfriend's parents! They were seated next to us the whole time and thank goodness I did not see them until they got up to leave. You know how that report back went-"Oh, and guess who we ran into? She looked awful...I don't think she showered and her hair pulled back really showed how gray she is getting...and I think she may have had some guacamole in her teeth...but her kids are cute." Back in high school I repainted my boyfriend's room. It looked like you were sitting in a field, I had clouds on the ceiling, tall grass coming from the floor...it looked pretty cool. Flash forward 20 years and his father said to me as they left "Hey, we finally painted over the room upstairs. Now there is no more memory of you." Even my daughter said, "Wow, mom, that was pretty mean."

Really? It took you 20 years to paint over that?

I'm sure he didn't mean for it to come out the way it sounded, but it left me with an "uhm, yeah, great to see you too."

At that moment, I think I would have been the perfect candidate for Stacy and Clinton on What Not to Wear.  
 
Have you ever been in that situation?

On to some good news:

Tomorrow, March 27th is the last day of our Think Spring Giveaway! The response has been great! If you haven't entered yet, be sure to leave your comment on the giveaway post stating "What does spring mean to you?" for your chance to win a $25 Visa Gift Card and First Aid Kit. Winner will be drawn randomly from the comments and announced on Monday, March 29th.

8 comments:

  1. *groan*...yeah, we've all been there...unfortunately- LOL! This must be 'suck the wind out of your self esteem week'...maybe it's the phase of the moon. My own personal tale of woe is this. This week was my birthday, which seems to be merely a yearly reminder that for the most part, I've got some really crappy friends.

    It really IS time for the 'Think Spring' - as in Cleaning- and probably a few people need to be thrown out with the rest of the pile of rubbish.
    Thanks for the listen. I apparently needed to vent... =/

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were probably JEALOUS that you felt comfortable enough to go out in public as you were!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what? Screw them! I'm sure you didn't look as bad as you felt - at least I tell myself that everytime I leave the house in the same condition.

    And - dude, it took them 20 years to paint over your work. You've got *staying power*, baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle- I'm sorry your friends made your birthday crappy! That always stinks! Well, I hope this year is a happy one!

    Vent anytime! :)

    Amy, the beauty in it was I didn't have to teach anything...as I scanned the table for the kids' reactions, their faces spoke volumes-"What the heck...?" They got it.

    Lisa, I wonder if being seated by the door rather than back in the corner was an indicator that it wasn't too bad. Then again, if we were sat in the latter, no one would have been exclaiming "Nobody puts Baby in the corner!".

    Megan- I know,right??! 20 years ain't too shabby...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I beg to differ with there being 'No memory left of you!" They now have that great Burger Joint visual engraved in their heads for ever!LOL But there's always the hope that the cuteness of the kids will outweigh it all:)

    I'm happy you married Vic. I love his parents:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ponytail, no shower... sounds normal to me! Meeting the old boyfriend's parents... um... challenging. Can't believe they were so rude. Isn't time supposed to heal all? Sounds like you handled the situation well... ended up looking good in a bad situation in front of the kids. What's better than that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alison- Yes, what a lovely lasting impression that will be! Ha!

    I'm so glad I married Vic too..I have my best friend in the entire world to spend my days with, fantastic kids and a major plus-I adore my in-laws!
    Can't ask for more than that!

    Jen-You would think time would work that way. I guess not...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Kelly for the kind thoughts. I was feeling 'unloved' there for a moment. LOL.

    Amy, THANK YOU for putting things back into perspective. YIKES! You're right, Kelly could have gotten stuck with them for inlaws!

    ...the glass really IS always half full isn't it? =)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails